Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Valuable Learning Through Play


The Potato Head Hospital


Countless articles have been written about the benefit to toddlers playing with Mr. Potato Head. See: Potato Head Learning.
Additionally, college students have been using Mr. Potato Head in their medical school studies. See: Mr. Potato Head Goes to Medical School
The resources I offer you combine the best of both scenarios and can be used in PreK-2 classrooms. Even a third grade science class I taught enjoyed it.
I wrote a story that was a little less graphic than the stories told to the med students about a horrible bus, train, or plane crash.
I printed it, bound it, and had a read aloud before I modeled the activity.
The 12 page story is included and can be printed out or displayed with a computer and projector. 
Click here for more info: The Potato Head Hospital
12 page story
In preparation for the activity, I assembled a number of potato heads and took a picture of each one. I included a name on the picture and placed them all in a ring binder that served as a family album. There are lots of great deals for Potato Heads on eBay.
After the story, I showed the students a picture of a potato head from the album. Then I modeled how to put the potato head back together using the picture and scanning for the right pieces. I also paused for discussion and input from the students.
Loose pieces can be kept in a bin for the students to pick and scan through. Initially, though, I placed necessary and some unnecessary parts in a large baggie with a potato head’s name on it to keep things organized.
We were fortunate enough to obtain a donation of scrubs to keep in our center.



Students worked together to treat their patients and reassemble their potato heads.
Lots of language, thinking, and collaboration always took place.
They would also diagram and write about their potato heads.
          
While using these activities with my kindergarten classes, we had a visit from Doc McStuffins. After my principal saw the activity, she bought 4 stuffed Doc McStuffins to use in our center. It remained a favorite center throughout the year.
Resources available here: Potato Head Learning

12 vocabulary cards

6 worksheets


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year! January Specials!

S ave over 30% for the month of January with my Seasonal and Holiday Bundle! This bundle contains 20 different resources! These are a...